Sheldon’s will return
By: TIFFANY WOODALL Review Staff firstname.lastname@example.org, Staff Writer
Operations at Sheldon’s Gallery & Frame Shop, 20 W. Main St., will temporarily be moved next door to Christmas & More at Sheldon’s after a small blaze Monday morning caused significant smoke damage to the interior of the business.
"I’m sure it’s going to take months before the gallery is back into shape," said owner Tim Sheldon. They’re hoping to move next door by Friday.
Traffic on Route 322 was redirected as firefighters secured the scene. The fire was caused by a dehumidifier, according to store employee Cindy Grote. There was no structural damage, but excessive smoke forced employees and customers to evacuate the building.
The Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era reported that Deputy Chief of Pioneer Fire Company Vernon Schmuck confirmed the cause of the fire as a dehumidifier explosion, even though the cause was initially presumed to be a furnace fire.
Schmuck reported that emergency responders had to wear oxygen masks.
"The smoke was even pouring out of the windows on the second floor," said Grote. "Everything is just covered in soot. I mean everything," she said.
"If you’d walk in, you can smell it," said Sheldon. "There’s just black all over everything."
A crew from Complete Restoration entered the building Monday afternoon to begin clean-up.
"Some of the fabric items might not be able to be cleaned," said Grote, "but the pictures and everything, that should all be okay because it’s under glass."
The estimated cost of damage and repair is currently unavailable.
"It’s gonna be an awful lot," said Sheldon. "Everything’s gonna have to be cleaned, and they have to take everything out of the house and do the walls and the rugs. The insurance company really hasn’t given me an idea. I have no idea."
Pioneer Fire Company was assisted by Lincoln Fire Company at the scene. More SHELDON’S, page A7
Posted: October 10th, 2012 under News.